SXSW Interactive wraps up in Austin, Texas today and Proto Labs was proud to make our debut at the notoriously cool event — both as an exhibitor and attendee. Fittingly, we brought our Cool Idea! Award gallery to SX Create, a come one, come all event within the Interactive Festival that showcased innovative technologies and products that are shaping our future. Visitors to our space could check out a selection of previous Cool Idea! Award recipients to see how the inventive ideas went from concepts to actual products with a manufacturing hand from Proto Labs.
Our booth at SX Create showcased past Cool Idea! Award winners.
One of the many things SXSW is known for is its comprehensive music and film schedule where some tough decisions need to be made — the interactive counterpart is no different. By the time I finished plotting out my schedule, two hours had passed. Here are some session highlights: Continue reading
Pirates get a day. Bacon gets a day (as it should). Even mathematicians celebrate 3.14 with Pi Day. But today! Today manufacturers get their day. Manufacturing Day is a coordinated effort by manufacturers to open their doors to customers so they can see what manufacturing is, and what it isn’t, by explaining processes and dispelling misconceptions about the industry.
So on this day dedicated to manufacturing, we lay out our virtual welcome mat and invite you to take a digital tour of our comprehensive website for a glimpse inside Proto Labs and its services.
We have four online tours filled with info, photos and video of our two services (Protomold and Firstcut), our global presence and the technology we use to make it all happen. Before you enter our humble abode, here’s a primer:
- Protomold. Our injection molding service offers customers affordable parts, and fast. How fast? Up to one business day in some instances. There are hundreds of resins options that can be molded in quantities ranging from 10 to 10,000 parts.
- Firstcut. Our CNC machining service blends proprietary analysis and programing software to bring real parts to our customers. If you’re looking for a small run of prototype parts, fixtures, jigs or one-off projects without having to invest in traditional tooling, Firstcut can quickly deliver what you need.
- Global Presence. We began in 1999 specializing in rapid-turn manufacturing of custom plastic injection molded parts. We’ve since expanded to full-scale facilities in England and Japan to help service our international customer base.
- Technology. Learn how our cutting-edge, internally-developed software running on a giant computer cluster has automated many manual molding and machining processes to bring customers quality parts really fast.
- Extras. In addition to the virtual tours, our site is filled with a wealth of useful information including material options, design and machining tips, future tradeshows we’ll be at and a lot more.
Our door is open 24 hours a day and you never have to remove your shoes. Ready to visit Proto Labs? Right this way: www.protolabs.com/tour.