Reduced cost of development as well as part production can certainly be achieved with industrial 3D printing processes, like selective laser sintering and direct metal laser sintering, but there are a few design rules you need to keep in mind.
This month’s design tip from Proto Labs discusses:
- Optimizing part design for 3D printing
- Embracing non-traditional design techniques like organic features
- Designing for manufacturability if larger quantities are needed
- Minimizing overhangs and other unfriendly features
- Avoiding “over-tolerancing” your parts
- Factoring in your product’s overall functionality in addition to cost reductions