The medical industry continues to grow and change, and Proto Labs is working to stay ahead of the curve with our capabilities by making some significant enhancements to our Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) molding process. The most recent updates include the addition of medical-grade QP1-250 LSR to our material options and the ability to produce larger LSR parts.QP1-250 benefits include:
- Increased process accuracy and efficiency
- Decreased risk of complications during production
- The potential for faster finished parts
- Faster processing of quality, intricate parts
Parts created with this material are strong and elastic with excellent thermal, chemical and electrical resistance. They’ll maintain their physical properties at extreme temperatures and withstand sterilization. LSR parts are biocompatible so they are frequently used in products that require skin contact.
Applications include non-implantable components such as needleless access valves, anesthesia masks, surgical instrumentation and consumer health care parts for dental products and nasal aspirators.
In addition to the new material, Proto Labs can now produce larger LSR parts.
Maximum part size limits at this time are now approximately:
- Size: 12 in. (304 mm) by 8 in. (203 mm) by 4 in. (100 mm)
- Depth: No greater than 2 in. (50 mm) from any parting line; also note that deeper parts are limited to a smaller outline
- Surface area: 48.4 square in. (312 sq. cm)
- Volume: 13.3 cubic in. (217 cc)
We have the capability to mold LSR in multiple durometers and colors, and have optical LSR for lighting applications. Learn more about how rapid manufacturing can increase speed to market for devices and components in our free medical white paper.