Are you a university student in the UK with a game-changing idea that would benefit from digital manufacturing?
Designed for university students the Makers Programme supports projects and initiatives by UK students through funding, expert support, and promotion to a global audience. Simply put, through the Protolabs Makers Programme we help students take their ideas from design to manufacture, with support every step of the way.
What can you receive from the Protolabs Makers Programme?
- A manufacturing grant that can be used for Protolabs’ injection moulding, 3D printing and CNC machining services (grant total determined by Protolabs on a project-by-project basis)
- Engineering expertise to help you optimise your design for manufacturability
- Promotion on our various channels such as our website, social media channels, and third-party publications, which have a global reach
How do I know if my project is a fit?
We want to partner with university students in the United Kingdom who are developing innovative ideas and products to help solve problems, and have the following requirements for submissions:
- Unique, inventive and game-changing
- Part of an educational project or initiative
- Affiliated with an educational institution
- Currently enrolled in a full or part-time university Engineering or Technology-related course
- Entries can be submitted by individuals or teams
- Entries should be original
- Must be willing to discuss innovation with Protolabs to support content creation (such as case studies, blogs, podcasts, and more - to be discussed upon project approval)
- Have a manufacturing need that Protolabs can accommodate
- Have CAD files available
- United Kingdom only
Is this programme open to competition submissions or sponsorship opportunities?expand_less expand_more
Unfortunately, this programme is reserved for unique projects and will not provide support or funding for competitions or sponsorship opportunities.
Is partial funding available?expand_less expand_more
Yes, we can offer partial funding towards your project to cover part of the project cost.
If I upload my project is my IP protected?expand_less expand_more
Yes you have complete ownership of your design, we will only support with funding and expert advice to support your evolution from innovation to tangible product but you have complete ownership of your project.
I’m putting my product forward for a patent, can promotion be delayed until after the patent has been secured?expand_less expand_more
Should your request be approved, we will work with you to understand when the project will be complete and when will be best to push out promotion, which can be delayed for a time frame to align with your patent approval.
What channels will be used to promote the project?expand_less expand_more
We will use a range of our owned, earned and paid channels such as our website, social media, third party microsites, PR, and emails to name a few. As a global company, content will also be shared worldwide to give you greater exposure, though upon project approval we will also liaise with you in case there are any countries you would not like the content to be shared in.
Do I have to create the content for the project?expand_less expand_more
Don’t worry we have a team of experts who will support with creating the content based on your project, all we ask is that you connect with our team to provide them with the details of your project. Once we’ve created the content, this will be shared with you for approved prior to publication.
When processing a request, how long will it be until I receive a response?expand_less expand_more
We aim to respond to all requests within 15 workings days.
2. This programme is run by ProtoLabs Ltd. (the Promoter) whose registered office is Halesfield 8, Telford, Shropshire, TF7 4QN, United Kingdom.
3. By submitting a request, entrants agree to working with Protolabs to create content such as case studies, blogs, and podcasts, which will be agreed upon approval in the form of a contract.
4. The Promoter shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these terms and conditions, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to this webpage.
6. Funding and support will not be provided for projects associated with competitions or sponsorship.
8. When making a request, a CAD file must be uploaded to protolabs.com/en-gb to support the submission, and “Protolabs Makers Programme” should be included in the project name. If there is no CAD file uploaded under the appropriate name, your request will not be considered.
9. Multiple requests from the same person are permitted.
10. Any requests that the Promoter consider (at our absolute discretion) to be dangerous, vulgar, offensive, indecent, illegal, copied, cruel or fraudulent, or infringe on the rights or copyright of others, will be immediately rejected.
11. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for any reason.
12. Entrants give permission to the Promoter to contact them via the email address provided as part of the submission.
13. All entries will be treated confidentially.