High Speed CNC Milling
CNC turning also available
DESIGN FOR SPEED
Following these design guidelines will result in an optimal and economical manufacturing time.
- Maximise radii to allow for bigger diameter tools with deeper reach. Maximum slot depth 50 mm.
- Minimum slot width 0.75mm. Using 1.25mm will allow for greater depth and speed.
These features require side-setup. Designing for top/ bottom access will minimise cost (mini cube).
- HELICOIL® - In metric and UN (in a range of common sizes).
- Counter bore - DfA and extrended thread depth to more than Ø x 2.5.
- Unified (inch) coarse and fine threads: General rule depth = Ø x 2.5.
- Metric threads: M1.6 to M12. Selection of metric fine. General rule depth = Ø x 2.5.
Cube sides are 90mm, and manufactured in aluminium 6082.
DESIGN FOR FUNCTION
These features show off capabilities, but take longer to machine.
- Ball milling provides 5-axis like contoured surfaces using 3-axis machining.
- Note the lofted radius - tool access from above
- Text is possible but using smaller cutters takes longer. Using rounded text and adding radii will help.
- The smaller the radius, the smaller the tool, and so shallower the pocket.
- Either add a radius (and chamfer the insert)
- Or relieve (extend the cutter diameter beyond the corner) 2 options shown.
WALLS, BOSSES AND RAISED FEATURES
- A minimum wall thickness of 0.5mm is possible. Keep material stiffness in mind - the thicker the better, particularly for plastic/ ductile metals.
- Try and avoid raised/ embossed features (the whole of this face is removed to create it).
- Consider an insert (stud or dowel) as milling a hole or thread is more cost effective than a raised feature.
From CAD to Component... In Hours
* Expidite and shipping fees apply, our standard and typical manufacturing time is 3 working days + 1 day shipping. Times are applicable to this sample in aluminium, Bigger/more complex parts and different materials may take longer. Upload now for price and delivery time.