Customer-supplied Material Information
Protolabs' injection molding service stocks a wide variety of thermoplastic and LSR materials for your convenience. However, we realize sometimes you need a special material that we don’t inventory. In these cases, we can often mold parts using a material you supply. Here’s how it works:
1. Our applications engineers will need to review your design to determine if we can mold with your material. They are happy to discuss this with you at 877-479-3680.
2. If our applications engineer determines we can mold with your material, you will need to provide us with the following information:
a. The trade name and grade of the material, including any trailing colorant code.
b. A MSDS and a technical data sheet for your material. These requests can be submitted online here.
3. In regards to thermoplastics, Protolabs never runs regrind resin. Virgin resin is required.
4. Material should be shipped to one of the addresses below and the box should be labeled with our material identification number, which will be supplied to you by customer service.
a. Thermoplastic: 15197 Boulder Avenue, Rosemount, MN 55068
b. LSR: 15197 Boulder Avenue, Rosemount, MN 55068
5. If you select an expedited delivery for your parts, we immediately begin working on the mold. Production of actual parts begins within 24 hours of receipt of your material. In order to meet your delivery requirements, you will need to ship your material to us in a timely manner. If we don’t receive your material in time to mold the parts and meet the ship date, you are still responsible for any delivery premium.
6. Injection molding is an art and a science and controlling the process variables to make good parts is challenging. As a result, it is difficult to determine exactly how much material will be required to make your parts. Consequently, you take on the risk and responsibility of supplying a sufficient amount of material to cover any unforeseen processing issues that may occur when manufacturing your parts.
7. See our terms and conditions for specifics.