Precision CNC Machining for Functional Prototypes and End-use Parts
Get improved tolerances, fully machined features, and detailed inspections
You know us as the fastest manufacturing supplier of machined parts, but sometimes your project requirements outweigh the need for speed. We machine highly precise parts with multiple finishing and reporting options—just what you need for parts with high-end specifications.
Precision machining makes sense when you need lower quantities with higher part requirements. Lead times still can be as few as 10 days!
Advantages of Precision Machining
Machining complexity often brings with it high-level requirements. To ensure that your parts meet your needs, we include design feedback from applications engineers. You’ll also get:
- Tolerances as tight as +/-0.002 in. (0.0508mm)
- Fulfillment of quality requirements (including CoC, FAI, ISO 9001, and AS9100)
- Fully machined features (no material left behind)
Design Guidelines for Precision Machining
|3-axis Milling||36 in. x 24 in. x 13 in.|
|5-axis Milling||16 in. x 16 in. x 16 in.|
|Turning||10 in. x 18 in.|
|3-axis Milling||914.4mm x 609.6mm x 330.2mm|
|5-axis Milling||406.4mm x 406.4mm x 406.4mm|
|Turning||254mm x 457.2mm|
Other Design Considerations
- Maximum block/stock weight: 75 pounds (34.02kg)
- 3D CAD file preferred; prints are accepted for additional specification
|3-axis Milling||0.10 in. x 0.20 in. x 0.20 in*|
|5-axis Milling||0.10 in. x 0.20 in. x 0.20 in.*|
|Turning||0.093 in. diameter|
|Wall Thickness||0.040 in.**|
*Minimum material thickness for plastic and steels: 0.125 in.
** Material and geometry dependent
|3-axis Milling||2.54mm x 5.08mm x 5.08mm*|
|5-axis Milling||2.54mm x 5.08mm x 5mm*|
|Turning||0.093 in. diameter|
*Minimum material thickness for plastic and steels: 3.175mm
** Material and geometry dependent.
- Additional materials are available based on vendor inventory
- Materials softer than 50 shore D and harder than HRC 32 not offered
- Linear tolerances as tight as = +/- 0.002 in.
- Reamed holes = +/-0.0005 in.
- Surface roughness = 63 µ in.
- GD&T (material and geometry dependent)
- Flatness = 0.005 in. for parts under 1/10-in. thick, 0.002 in. for parts over 1/10-in. thick
- Parallelism = 0.010 in. for materials smaller than 6 in. x 12 in., 0.015 in. for materials larger than 6 in. x 12 in.
- True position (two-plane and three-plane) = 0.015 in.
- Profile of a surface = 0.015 in.
- Knife edges
- Parts drafted on both internal and external walls
- 5-axis parts with cavity depth exceeding 6 in.
Finishing and Post-Processing
- Additional plating
- Basic assembly
- Chromate plating
- Electroless nickel plating
- Part marking
- Powder coating
- Press fit and hardware
- Silk screening
|Standard Threads||Taper Pipe Threads||Metric Threads||Standard Helicoil Threads||Metric Helicoil Threads
|UNC||UNF||NPT||MC||UNC STI||UNF STI||MC STI|
|1-64||0-80||1/16-27||M1.6 x 0.35||2-56||2-64||M2.5 x 0.45|
|2-56||1-72||1/8-27||M2.0 x 0.40||3-48||3-56||M3.0 x 0.50|
|3-48||2-64||1/4-18||M2.5 x 0.45||4-40||4-48||M3.5 x 0.60|
|4-40||3-56||3/8-18||M3.0 x 0.50||5-40||5-44||M4.0 x 0.70|
|5-40||4-48||1/2-14||M3.5 x 0.60||6-32||6-40||M4.5 x 0.75|
|6-32||5-44||3/4-14||M4.0 x 0.70||8-32||8-36||M5.0 x 0.80|
|8-32||6-40||M4.5 x 0.75||10-24||10-32||M6.0 x 1.0|
|10-24||8-36||M5.0 x 0.80||12-24||12-28||M7.0 x 1.0|
|12-24||10-32||Special Threads||M6.0 x 1.0||1/4-20||1/4-28||M8.0 x 1.25|
|1/4-20||12-28||3.035-40 SM3||M7.0 x 1.0||5/16-18||6/16-24||M10 x 1.50|
|5/16-18||1/4-28||2.035-36 SM2||M.0 x 1.25||3/8-16||3/8-24||M12 x 1.75|
|3/8-16||5/16-24||1.035-40 SM1||M10 x 1.50||7/16-14||7/16-20||M14 x 2.0|
|7/16-14||3/8-24||M12 x 1.75||1/2-13||1/2-20||M16 x 2.0|
|1/2-13||7/16-20||M14 x 2.0||M18 x 2.5|
|1/2-20||M16 x 2.0||M20 x 2.5|
|M18 x 2.5|
|M20 x 2.5|
- Certificate of Conformance (CoC) to customer specifications
- First Article Inspections (FAIs)
- Material certification and heat lot numbers
- ISO 9001
Recommended text considerations for CNC milling:
- Minimum width of 0.007 in. (0.177mm), depth of 0.012 in. (0.309mm).
- If design permits it, opt for recessed text versus raised.